English Language Arts
Jump to READING
Develop writing with story starters
Argument Writing for Literature
Learn how to write compelling argumentative essays. Complete playlist with superb set of resources designed by Catlin Tucker. Perfect for either teacher or student.
Celebrate poet Ina Coolbrith's centenial!Find out more about author Aleta George and her writings about California culture including Ina.
The Art of the Metaphor
- In these short videos, various children's books authors share insights, tips and experience. From NBC Learn
- Read Write Think
This is the essential one-stop shop for reading, writing and literacy. It contains complete lesson plans for creating a reading and writing classroom. Developed by the International Reading Association (IRA) and National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).
Excellent online lessons for "emergent readers." The lessons and short animations are highly engaging. This is an excellent site to recommend to parents for use at home.
- Grappling with Text Complexity:
For teachers, learning how to help students do close reading is one of the harder challenges in implementing Common Core. Watch this great video on how to help students get the GIST of a passage.
- Getting the GIST is also illustrated in this different lesson video called Collaborative Summarizing in 7th Grade History
- CLRN/ English-Language
The California Learning Resources Network (CLRN) is your must-see site for software. Check to evaluate software that you are thinking about buying. If you need primary or secondary sources for research, check out Open Educational Resources in ELA.
- Library of Congress
Here is a world of primary resources - whether you need something from American Memory, Photographs, Film or Manuscripts. Click here for Teachers.
- Citation Machine.
This site helps both students and teachers learn how to cite research.
- American Association of School Librarians
AASL provides a world of information. Check out their Toolkits.
The Solano, Napa and Partners Library Consortium serves these northern California counties. They provide extensive resources for kids, parents and teachers. What about your local Library?
- Between the Lions
is an award winning PBS series. Find games, video clips and more.
The BBC hosts this site for English and Maths (yes, that is how the Brits say it) for Adults.
- One Stop English: Designed for English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). Geared to teaching teens and adults. Anyone can benefit from these lessons.
- 50 iPad Apps for struggling readers and writers: Well organized list with clear explanations of apps. Some do cost money but are cheap.
- Great iPad Apps to Generate Writing Prompts: Teachers need story starters. Here are apps to make it easy. You may also want to check out her previous blog Web Tools to Teach Writing Through Comics.