Instructional Strategy Videos
Check out my YouTube Playlist called “Instructional Strategies.”
These videos were developed with the support of Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) conjunction with WestEd. We began with three days of filming multiple lessons at three different FSUSD schools during April-May 2013: Grange Middle School; Crystal Middle School, and Suisun Elementary School.
- Collaborative Summarizing in 3rd Grade (5:07)
- Collaborative Summarizing in 7th Grade History (4:56)
- Rewriting a Text in 6th Grade Science (6:42)
- Repeated Interactive Read-aloud in Kindergarten" (6:25)
- Academic Vocabulary Instruction in Kindergarten" (4:18)
Reflection and Coaching Videos
After filming the above lessons, we conducted follow-up sessions. One session was the teacher’s “reflection” on the lesson they had taught. The other was a “coaching” session in which Marianne Justus of WestEd “coached” the teacher.
- Teacher Reflection: Josh Harris reflects on lesson(8:45)
Josh Harris, teacher, reflects on “Collaborative Summarizing in 7th Grade History.
- Coaching Session: Josh Harris and Marianne Justus (4:57)
Josh Harris, teacher, is coached by Marianne Justus, WestEd ELLA specialist.
- Teacher Reflection: Stephanie Cassidy reflects on lesson(6:25)
Stephanie Cassidy, teacher, reflects on “Rewriting a Text in 6th Grade Science.”
- “Coaching Session: Stephanie Cassidy and Marianne Justus” (2:37)
Stephanie Cassidy, teacher, is coached by Marianne Justus, WestEd ELLA specialist.
The playlist has other videos worth watching:
- The Hands-On Science Project 2 video illustrates how students can be engaged while learning important content. It was filmed at FSUSD Public Safety Academy in 2013. This one was not a WestEd collaboration, but it illustrates engagement strategies and methods of summarizing, collaborating and checking for understanding.